In 2018, business, civic, and community leaders in Over-the-Rhine came together to make the neighborhood the most diverse business district in the country. As the neighborhood undergoes a historic transformation, stakeholders recognized an opportunity to create a framework that can deepen the success of Black-owned business in OTR to drive greater economic inclusion for residents and community members and in the process set a national example of equitable community development.
Represent is an organization focused on eliminating barriers and shifting the face of entrepreneurship in Over-the-Rhine to make it representative of Cincinnati’s diversity. Represent is committed to increasing the number of Black-owned businesses in the historic Over-the-Rhine neighborhood.
Represent is governed by a Board of Directors, who provide direction, guidance and oversight for strategic planning & program development, organizational policies, fundraising and budgeting. The Board of Directors is a carefully selected group of local professionals from Mortar, 3CDC, Jostin Construction, Triversity Construction, Fifth Third, Haile Foundation, Strive Together and The African American Chamber of Commerce.
The Program Director will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the Represent organization, ensuring an efficient and effective operation to meet the goals of this initiative. In this role, you will be the face of the organization, working closely with the Board of Directors, government officials, corporate executives and the public. You will ensure that programming is aligned with the organization’s mission and vision and that we are identifying and developing relationships to successfully achieve strategic objectives – transforming OTR into the most diverse business district in the country and attracting & retaining black owned businesses. This candidate will have a strong entrepreneurial mindset, being self-motivated and adaptable. The Program Director will report to the Board of Directors.
The Program Director will facilitate Represent’s daily activities:
- Partner with the Board of Directors to develop and implement strategic plans that meet the initiative’s goals and objectives
- Recruit and develop a team of subject matter experts to serve as resources for Represent’s programming related to capital access, technical assistance and marketing
- Identify gaps in current financing available for Black-owned businesses and develop strategies to fill those gaps including developing new funding sources
- Launch & maintain a networking program that connects business owners to mentors, contractors, attorneys, investors, etc.
- Facilitate workshops to provide businesses with credit building/counseling services and exposure to existing traditional & non-traditional loans/grants
- Assist businesses in identifying and securing permanent commercial space
- Develop a public relations campaign, collaborating with local media to regularly feature and promote businesses participating in Represent
- Identify & implement programs to bridge the gap between black-owned businesses and the broader community by hosting cultural events, workshops, etc.
- Actively recruit established black-owned businesses & talent to OTR
- Develop positive, mutually beneficial relationships with key stakeholders, including donors, government agencies and local corporations
- Maintain the financial stability of the organization through fundraising or the development of other income
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive. The employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the Board of Directors and/or other management as required.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related degree program is preferred
- Previous experience as an entrepreneur or in a senior leadership role
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement successful strategic plans
- Deep understanding of financial strategies and finance-related performance metrics; proven knowledge of performance evaluation metrics in a business setting
- Strong aptitude for verbal and written communication, presentation, and relationship development
- Ability to apply successful fundraising and networking techniques
- In-depth knowledge of best practices in management and governance
- Excellent leadership and organizational abilities
Mortar is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.