Manager, Events Operations
FLSA Status: FT, Exempt
The statements below reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the major responsibilities of the identified position and are not to be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job. An asterisk (*) indicates that this is an essential function of the job as outlined in the American with Disabilities Act.
The Manager of Event Operations coordinates catering operations for events – weddings, banquets, meetings, celebrations, etc. - held at National Underground Railroad Freedom Center. The Manager delivers consistent brand-quality service and hospitality to our guests. The Manager’s primary responsibility is to coordinate and oversee event operations including catering, bar service, equipment, run of show, set up and tear down and all related client services during the event; while following policies and procedures and providing a safe, friendly and optimally functional environment. Additionally, the Manager will assist with event administrative functions including event calendars, communications and correspondence, invoicing and payment, and inventory. The Manager will assist in departmental goals, policies, procedures and strategies and in maintaining all reporting necessary to monitor progress and create action plans to meet goals and compliance.
Event Operations – 75%
- Oversee event logistics including load in, set up, tear down and load out including caterer, a/v, public safety and related needs for run of show *
- Lead all liquor management including purchasing, caterer and vendor relationships, bar sales, billing and conducting liquor and banquet supplies inventories *
- Identify and secure internal, caterer and vendor logistics, and oversee event day execution *
- Lead client, caterer and vendor site visits to identify event needs and run of show *
- Liaise between client, internal departments and vendors and offer best vendor for client needs from preferred vendor list
- Lead institutional operations meetings to plan operations needs for upcoming events and to learn about potential alignment of events with educational programs, community engagement and similar initiatives
- Coordinate master events calendar for maximum efficiency of deploying resources
- Lead by example in creating a safe (meeting all fire codes), clean, stocked, organized, efficient and presentable event space, supply rooms and office areas
- Assist in soliciting feedback from clients, internal departments, caterer and vendors to identify client satisfaction and areas for operations improvement
- Create room reservations, sales items and related client account information in POS and event management databases *
- Answer incoming sales inquiries, including phone calls and online requests and effectively communicate product offerings, pricing and institutional history, events and programs to help drive sales *
- Take payment for client invoices and assist with payments for caterer and vendor invoices
- Assist in maintaining integrity of reservations database including calendars, invoices and client records
- Assist in providing sales and client reports to leadership and marketing teams
- Assist with execution of sales plans targeting repeat clients especially to communicate improvements of and interest in our product offerings
- High School diploma required; college degree preferred in areas of event sales, client management, hospitality, tourism, catering/bartending, food management.
- Previous experience of at least 5 years in large venue/attractions (museums, theme parks, zoos, cultural or academic institution, resorts, convention centers, etc.); or a combination of education and experience.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with event logistics including catering, bar management, audio-visual, décor and other event needs.
- Experience with client management software, Point of Sale systems and e-commerce.
- Excellent Guest Service skills including conflict-resolution, service recovery, team building, and interfacing and collaborating effectively with diverse internal and external audiences; and an outgoing, friendly, approachable personality.
- Ability to maintain composure, practice sound judgment, problem solve, critically think, promote a spirit of cooperation and diplomacy and communicate effectively and professionally in high pressure, fast-paced, emergency or unusual situations.
- Must be able to read, write and proofread reports, departmental memos and other related documents.
- Ability to type, complete complex data entry processes and math transactions with speed and accuracy, count cash with precision and effectively use computers/calculators to complete sales.
- Professional demeanor with high degree of integrity, confidentiality, ethics and dedication to the mission of National Underground Railroad Freedom Center.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, written, aural and oral; with strong attention to detail, precision and accuracy.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to produce, understand, interpret and apply complex data, especially in relation to delivering a credible experience to clients.
- Strong self-motivation and initiative; ability to work both independently and as a team member, especially to maintain client and caterer and vendor relationships.
- Excellent time management skills including ability to initiate, prioritize, manage and complete multiple tasks in an energetic environment and work well under pressure with periodic heavy workloads, constant demands and frequent interruptions.
Position is 40 hour/week, salary, with benefits. Requires flexible schedule to meet business demands, with many hours during evenings and weekends; and some holidays. Must be punctual and have reliable transportation. Must be able to lift, carry and pull up to 35 pounds. Frequent standing, walking, stooping, crouching. Must be able to climb a ladder to retrieve product from shelving. Some exposure to dust and cleaning chemicals.
To apply online go to:
We are an equal opportunity employer