Catholic Charities of Southwestern Ohio
POSITION TITLE: Vacaciones Útiles Teacher
DEPARTMENT: Su Casa Hispanic Center
REPORTS TO: Education Services Supervisor
WORK HOURS: 37.5 hours/week
SUPERVISORY: Yes, Volunteers
WORK LOCATION: Hamilton Co. Community Action Agency, Cincinnati OH
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Su Casa’s academic enrichment summer camp, Vacaciones Útiles, is celebrating its 12th year serving low-income Hispanic/Latino children entering preschool through second grade. The objective of VÚ is to bridge the achievement gap between these children and their peers, by providing a fun and supportive summer camp that encourages their academic and social-emotional growth. We offer bilingual programming aimed at strengthening the core skills needed for success in the upcoming school year. The program has four classes: preschool, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade. Teachers offer instruction in critical reading and math skills, supplemented by the Summer Bridges series by New Reader’s Press, and Little Sponges, a dual-language vocabulary-building curriculum. Teachers create and implement curriculum for their appropriate grade level, with guidance from the Education Services staff of Su Casa Hispanic Center.
Essential Job Functions:
- Create and document daily lesson plans that meet the objectives of the program.
- Set up classrooms and maintain a clean and organized learning environment that maximizes student engagement.
- Promote a positive learning experience by modeling exemplary behavior and encouraging students to do their best.
- Assist with serving and cleaning up during breakfast and lunchtime.
- Implement grade-specific lesson plans based on a weekly theme.
- Chaperone field trips, sports lessons, and indoor/outdoor recreation time.
- Assess students’ academic and social-emotional progress with a pre-test and a post-test; provide accurate data for reporting outcomes.
- Maintain accurate records of attendance and student progress/testing.
- Operate a bilingual classroom, emphasizing English directions and academic content while promoting communication and enrichment in Spanish.
- Oversee and delegate responsibilities to classroom volunteers and Foster Grandparents.
- Attend weekly staff meetings to provide feedback and suggestions; collaborate with teachers and staff to plan lessons and all-camp events.
- Provide feedback to children and families regarding their child’s progress.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications and Skills Requirements:
- At least two years of experience working in an early childhood/elementary school setting.
- Experience in lesson planning, curriculum development, and classroom management.
- Experience working with the immigrant community.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish.
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Some post-secondary education required.
- Degree in Early Childhood Education preferred.
Language Skills: English required; fluent oral and written skills in English and Spanish preferred.
Computer Skills: Required knowledge of Microsoft Office. Must be able to enter and retrieve data using computer systems, systems applications, and other office equipment. Must have intermediate to advanced level of computer knowledge, and ability to implement technology in the classroom.
Organizational Responsibility: Employees of Catholic Charities Southwestern Ohio will have knowledge of the Catholic faith, a willingness to work for a Catholic, faith-based agency and adhere to the policies of Catholic Charities. Employees will not publicly oppose the teachings of the Catholic Faith nor publicly advocate for any position in conflict with Catholic teaching, or the specific positions of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati or the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. This requirement includes any public speech, demonstration or writing including the use of social media or other digital technologies.
Work Environment: Must be able to work inside and outside in summer weather conditions.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently lifts and/or moves up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Please submit resumes to: email@example.com