Department: Campus Services
Job ID: 6668 - Classified AFSCME (hourly) - FT
Performs a variety of tasks related to assisting in the preparation and serving of meals for University students and guests.
- Prepares kitchen and dining area which may include stocking/setting up grill, salad bar, condiment bar beverage stations, dessert stations, changing oil, brews beverages.
- Maintains clean and sanitary work area, especially in kitchen and dining areas which may include sweeping, scrubbing, cleaning tables, countertops, and machines or washing dishes and utensils. Ensures safety of food and food contact surfaces while maintaining sanitation standards. Observes strict safety rules.
- Prepares food for cooking which may include cleaning and peeling potatoes, cutting salad bar items, wrapping food, or preparing sandwiches.
- May stock serving line and/or serve food; monitors condition of items in both un-refrigerated and refrigerated settings such as salad bars; may operate cash register.
- Reads and interprets recipes to mix, prepare and assemble salads, desserts, dressings & special menu items; cooks pasta, potatoes, eggs, stir-fry food, makes sandwiches. May include the use of deep fat fryers, grills, steamers and/or ovens and other kitchen equipment; records temperature, monitors and records amounts prepared/amounts left over.
- Maintains all food items at proper temperatures as instructed.
- Responds to client requests for service, special diets, as well as other information in a friendly and helpful manner.
- Assists in providing guidance to other employees in the performance of their duties; coordinates efficient work flow and instructs in the proper use of equipment and utensils.
Physical effort usually requires considerable walking, standing, bending, twisting, pushing and pulling, with some lifting of materials weighing 25 to 50 pounds. Somewhat disagreeable working conditions due to exposure to high temperatures. Some element of personal risk due to very hot surfaces. A few occasions of outdoor event service.
Requires a high school diploma or GED. No experience required.
Please visit https://miamioh.edu/jobs and locate this position (using the Job ID listed in the Job Description Summary above) by selecting “Job Search.” Only online applications will be accepted for this position.
Miami University, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, is firmly committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University does not permit and takes action to prevent harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of sex (including sexual harassment, sexual violence, sexual misconduct, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking), race, color, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, military status, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. Miami University immediately investigates and takes disciplinary and/or remedial action when appropriate. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or (513) 529-3560.
Miami University’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html. Hard copy available upon request. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
Through an agreement with the Butler County Regional Transit Authority (BCRTA), Miami University employees may now ride the BCRTA shuttle for free with a valid Miami University ID. For route information, please visit http://www.butlercountyrta.com.
For more information about employment at Miami, the excellent benefits package and the Miami and surrounding communities please visit http://www.MiamiOH.edu/oeeo/infoandresources-applicants and http://www.MiamiOH.edu/iammiami.