Job Description Summary:
Job ID: 6902 - FT - Unclassified (salaried) - https://miamioh.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobid=6902
Miami University Libraries seeks a self-motivated, creative, and user-oriented colleague for a position of Science & Engineering Librarian. The position will have primary responsibility for subject specialist and liaison services to the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry; Chemical, Paper, and Biomedical Engineering; and a complement of 2-4 additional natural science and engineering departments in the
College of Arts & Sciences and the College of Engineering and Computing. The librarian engages with colleagues and the academic community to plan and provide high quality services in information consultation, student learning and literacies, and collection management. The position reports to the Head of the Advise & Instruct department.
The successful applicant will play a critical role in contributing to contemporary, cross-departmental library initiatives, including roles in education and outreach initiatives; developing and teaching noncredit and credit coursework and workshops for the library system; developing and managing library services and products; engagement in emerging technologies, digital scholarship, and scholarly communications and open educational resource advocacy; and providing requested policy and practice recommendations for Libraries administration.
- Serve as library subject specialist and liaison to 4-6 academic departments in the College of Arts & Sciences and College of Engineering & Computing. Specific subject area duties will be assigned depending on the appointee's experience, interests, and library needs.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with faculty and students in assigned liaison areas, provide excellent and collegial customer service, and monitor changing needs and trends.
- Provide general and specialized information consultation in assigned subject areas and support the Libraries' public service points.
- Provide engaged library instruction in multiple modes (in-person, online, and asynchronous) as warranted to support curricula and research in assigned areas.
- Provide collection development and management in assigned areas.
- Exhibit professional flexibility in a dynamic work environment.
- Cooperate with colleagues to support and assist in library services across the system and university.
- Graduate library degree from an ALA-accredited institution by date of appointment;
- Undergraduate degree in chemistry or a related discipline, and/or evidence of strong facility with chemical information resources;
- Teaching skills leading to proficient instruction in information literacy;
- Strong commitment to high quality public service;
- Analytical skills to aid in use of information sources and in technology problem solving;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work both in teams and independently with all levels of staff and diverse library customers;
- Proactive attitude, initiative, and ability to independently conceive and carry out projects;
- Enthusiasm and capability to independently identify and develop skills in professional competencies;
- Evidence of ability to meet the Libraries' promotion and continuing contract requirements (see http://www.lib.miamioh.edu/about/larps.pdf).
- The University will not sponsor H-1b for this position.
- Advanced degree in a natural sciences or engineering discipline; or comparable professional experience;
- Prior work experience in an academic or special library;
- Prior work experience in public-facing or client service-oriented work environments;
- Prior work experience teaching at the college level;
- Experience with data management practices, statistical analysis methods and software, makerspaces and other emerging technologies, digital scholarship, and/or scholarly communications issues.
Application Information and Instructions:
Please visit https://miamioh.edu/jobs and locate this position (using the Job ID listed in the Job Description Summary above) by selecting “Job Search” or by using the direct link: https://miamioh.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobid=6902. Only online applications will be accepted for this position.
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560.
Miami University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html. Hard copy available upon request. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free campuses.
Through an agreement with the Butler County Regional Transit Authority (BCRTA), Miami University employees may now ride the BCRTA shuttle for free with a valid Miami University ID. For route information, please visit http://www.butlercountyrta.com.
For more information about employment at Miami, the excellent benefits package and the Miami and surrounding communities please visit http://www.MiamiOH.edu/oeeo/infoandresources-applicants and http://www.MiamiOH.edu/iammiami.