• Share:
    March 24, 2020


    (Please click the link, if you want a nicely formatted PDF copy!)

    **As of 5:00 pm March 19th, 2020**

    Advocates for Ohio’s Future and our partners want to make sure leaders know of and fix problems with the health care system as they address the Coronavirus (COVID-19).  We want to understand and share as many people's experiences and challenges so that leaders make helpful changes.

    Let us know your story and let your friends know to share theirs so we can give leaders a real-life view of the problems by completing and sharing this short survey

    For updated public health information and resources specific to COVID-19, visit

    The Ohio Department of Health opened a call center to answer questions from the public regarding coronavirus (COVID-19). The call center will be open 7 days a week from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and can be reached at 1-833-4-ASK-ODH (1-833-427-5634)

    Unemployment Insurance Benefits – If you have been requested by a medical professional, local health authority, or employer to be isolated or quarantined as a consequence of COVID-19, or have been laid off due to the lack of production caused by the coronavirus, you may file for unemployment benefits online at https://unemployment.cmt.ohio.gov/cmtview/ or by calling 1-877-644-6562. More Questions? Please visit

    Ohio Jobs and Family Services’ Coronavirus and Unemployment Insurance Benefits website for more


    Health Care – If you do not have health care coverage or have lost it, you may be able to get affordable coverage through Medicaid or the Marketplace. Check first to see if you qualify for Medicaid at https://benefits.ohio.gov/. If you have changed or lost your job, you may be able to get affordable coverage through the Marketplace at https://www.healthcare.gov/screener/

    Patients who need hospital care, but are unable to pay for it, maybe eligible for free or reduced-fee care at Ohio hospitals through the Hospital Care Assurance Program (HCAP). Applications for HCAP are accepted by the hospital where care was received, and patients seeking HCAP assistance should contact their hospital’s billing department for application instructions.

    There are a few resources for assistance with prescription costs. See these resources here http://uhcanohio.org/rxassistance/

    Child Support – If you are having problems paying child support or you need additional child support, contact your county child support enforcement agency (CSEA). The CSEA will consider your case and present a recommendation for a possible adjustment. The amount could go up, go down or stay the same. To find the CSEA in your county, call (800) 686-1556 toll-free or visit jfs.ohio.gov/County.

    Cash Assistance - You can apply for cash assistance online by going to Benefits.Ohio.gov or by filling out a “Request for Cash, Food and Medical Assistance” form and submitting it to your county department of joband family services. Ohio counties are waiving various work and community engagement requirements and granting good cause exemptions in light of the pandemic.

    Child Care - ODJFS offers financial assistance to help eligible parents pay for child care while they work.

    Call your county department of job and family services. For more information, go to jfs.ohio.gov/factsheets/ChildCare.pdf or call (877) 852-0010

    Food - You can apply for food assistance online at Benefits.Ohio.gov To be eligible for food assistance through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as food stamps), your family income cannot exceed 130 percent of the federal poverty guidelines. You can check your eligibility by calling your county department of job and family services. More information about the program is available at jfs.ohio.gov/factsheets/foodassistance.pdf.

    You may be eligible for The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP), which is distributed through local nonprofit agencies, such as food pantries. To be eligible for TEFAP, your family income must be below 200 percent of the federal poverty guidelines. To find a local food bank, visit ohiofoodbanks.org/coronavirus.

    Pregnant women and children may also get food from WIC. You can apply by printing out

    WIC Program Application and mailing it to the WIC clinic in your area. Please note that you must schedule an appointment at the clinic, too. To find a WIC clinic near you, please click WIC Clinic Directory or call 1-800-755-GROW (4769).

    Food and Nutrition Assistance for Children – The Ohio Department of Education has created a website to support whole-child nutrition at education.ohio.gov. Refer to the map and map site key for available meal service in your area. Contact your school or district for details about their meal programs.

    Older Adults - You can find your Local Area Agency on Aging by going to http://ohioaging.org or calling 1-866-243-5678 to be connected to the area agency on aging serving your community.

    Local Assistance - Dial 211 or see 211.org for local assistance on food, paying housing bills, accessing child care and other crisis help.

    Mental Health Help

    • Text "TalkWithUs" to 66746
    • Spanish-speakers: Text "Hablanos" to 66746 Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, year-round